Skip to main content

COVID-19 Library Services Update


MacEwan University Copyright Office


Music and Video

Playing Music and Video

You can play all or part of a musical or video work in the classroom for the purposes of education or training on the university premises. Public performance rights for video are no longer required.  The source or copy of a video must be legal and can include a copy you own, a rented copy, or one borrowed from a library or a friend. Non-legal sources would include a copy downloaded from an illegal source on the web or a copy made from an illegal source.

Streaming Audio and Video

Streams of all or part of DVDs and tracks from CDs can be provided through Library eReserves. This is possible through an exception in the Copyright Act. The conditions of the exception must be met in order for the streaming copy to be legal. The Library process ensures that all requirements are met. Please submit requests to eReserves.

Posting a limited amount of a video or audio work to Blackboard or eReserves may qualify as fair dealing and not require permission. Consult the MacEwan University Fair Dealing Guidelines for more information. Web based video can be linked to or embedded into Blackboard if it is legally posted.

Web Based Video (such as YouTube)

Under the Internet exception, faculty and staff of the university may copy and use freely available web content for educational purposes. You may play a video for an audience that consists primarily of students and staff of the university. A condition of this exception is that the video must have been posted by or with the consent of the copyright owner and there is no notice that disallows educational use. See the Exceptions page for more information.

User-generated videos, commercial movies, television or documentaries that have been posted by or with the permission of the content owner may be shown in class and copied or embedded in Blackboard. Alternatively, you can provide a link to the page. This includes using an embed feature, which is equivalent to a link.

In some cases, the portion of a work posted to the web will be insubstantial enough to not be a copyright issue or the amount posted may qualify as fair dealing and can linked to or embedded even if it has not been posted by the owner or with permission. If you are unsure if this is the case, consult the Copyright Office.

Subscription and On-demand Video

Services such as Netflix or on-demand video services from a cable provider are provided under a contract for home use. Performing or recording videos from these sources would not constitute video from a legal source and would not qualify for in-class performance or online streaming under the performance exception outlined above. 

Netflix, however, has shown that it will grant permission for the use of videos from its service in the classroom. Contact Netflix and get permission in writing (such as an email) or place a permission request with the MacEwan Copyright and Licensing Office.

Broadcast Television, Radio Programs and Live Streams for Classroom Use

You may play any program to your class at the time of its airing.

A single copy of television or radio broadcasts recorded at the time of broadcast may be made and kept for educational use and performance. As of January 1, 2014, requirements to destroy a broadcast recording after a set period, or pay a royalty to retain or perform the copy, are no longer required.  

Recent court rulings suggest that live streaming broadcasts and Internet radio broadcasts are treated the same as over-the-air broadcasts. These can be played live in class at the time of broadcast. This would not apply to on-demand or downloadable programming.

Music Scores

An entire score may not be able to be copied under fair dealing without permission. It is, however, permitted under the MacEwan University Fair Dealing Guidelines to copy an entire score from a book that contains other scores or up to 10% of any score, if that amount is useful.  Scores that have entered the public domain may be used without permission or payment of a royalty. An example of a site that collects public domain scores is the International Music Score Library Project

Audio and Video for Non-Educational Purposes

If you want to perform music or a movie for entertainment or other non-educational purposes, a licence for the performance may be required. This can be arranged with the content owner directly or through a collective such as Audio Cine or Criterion Pictures for feature films; or SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) for musical performances. Contact the Copyright Office for information and assistance.

This work is subject to a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial 4.0 International license. For exceptions, see the Library Copyright Statement.